Monday, June 29, 2015

Best Belgian Beer Ever, So Far

Which means, simply, best beer ever, so far. Belgium makes and consumes more quality beer than any other nation, and its Trappist beers are said to be the best of the best. Veurne was near the Westvleteren brewery/abbey, St. Sixtus, and so we took a slight detour on our way to Dunkerque to get there. Thanks, Vicki, for spotting this and indulging me.
It's really out there in the boonies, quite a few miles on single
lane roads; this is the visitor center/tasting room/restaurant
















In Hoppeland (!); people arrive by car, camper, on foot, on
bicycles, in tour busses; sales of the beer are highly restricted:
one case per license plate, per 60 days, by advanced reservation
only; they don't want to commercialize, you see
















Westvleteren...distinctive glasses, bottles


















I had the #12--dark, hoppy, a bit sweet,
powerful; unforgettable (I hope); definitely the 
best ever for me; we may stop back by here 
on our rebound to Amsterdam!























Blondes too
















A bit of the decor




















Ditto















Wandering around the grounds...#12 is 10.6% alcohol...















And maybe into the brewery itself















I got this far before I was accosted by a guy in a gray robe; I
thought he was going to say "no fotos!" and shoo me away,
but he simply explained the Order was very sensitive about
non-members on the grounds but that yes I could take a picture

















A bit of the Abbey















Just add water...countryside just beyond the Abbey near
Poperinge















No comments: