Thursday, July 8, 2021

Mt. Rainier, 1

Our next goal was Mt. Rainier, which we'd visited in 1972 and then again in 2001 or so. This required passing through Yakima, which occasioned many 1972 memories...an evening at the drive-in movies, among other things, and my first viewing of what later became a favorite movie...The Fearless Vampire Killers (Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate; and Jack McGowan)...and some of the best junk shoppes ever, up to that time, including one with a B-17 bombardier nose bubble. How do I know all this, you ask? Well, Memory spoke, and I also consulted my travel journals from that time, which I always carry with me. Digitized, of course. My whole life, 4TB, the size of a deck of cards...

Thus

And thus























Anyhow, after a night in a disused campground in the national forest,
we drove on up to the national park entrance

Resolving to camp at maybe a lower elevation


Hoping to re-do this picture of me, in August, 1972, gazing upon
the great mountain
























It was at this point, however, that we learned that my Pixel 3
phone/camera had lost its ability to focus; perhaps it was trying 
to tell us you can never go back...




















A few days later, and with an actual camera, we managed this
shot; but it just wasn't the same...



















Anyhow, a few pix of the mountain...from Paradise



"Ye icefalls! Ye that from the mountain's brow, Adown enormous
ravines slope amain...Torrents, methinks, that heard a mighty voice
And stopped at once amid their maddest plunge..." (Coleridge)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Love the photos from 1972 and now!