Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Iceland, 3: Fridheimar, A Most Unusual Culinary Experience

As might be expected, there is very little vegetable (or fruit) gardening in Iceland. Actually, none, except for the number of greenhouses scattered around the island. One of these is Fridheimar, on the Golden Circle, which grows something like 20% of the tomatoes consumed by Icelanders and their visitors. Fridheimar has a tomato-themed restaurant in one of its greenhouses, so, of course, we had to visit. And eat. A not-to-be-missed experience; seriously.




Huge 3 and 4 meter vines growing from these little boxes

Bread station: incredible stuff

Among the restaurant areas

Of course they grow basil too: tomato's best friend

Table with a view, please


The Bloody Mary was tempting, but I had to drive

Bread; the anchovie/olive was superb

How to serve basil at the table

My soup; can't remember whether it was the 1st or 2nd bowl;
Vicki said it wasn't as good as La Madeline, but I counter that
place and atmosphere has to count; and it was pretty good


Want to pollinate? Gotta' have bees...throughout the buildings

Great place, in so many ways

Souvenir


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just discovered your blog, read this page, and I'm now resolved to peruse its entirety. Your travels are fascinating and very cool. I'd love to travel this way with my husband, and perhaps we will...but for now, I'm gathering information, which is how I found your blog. What fun! Thank you for such lovely documentation. I'm going to enjoy it.

Happy trails!
--Honeybee
Maple Valley, Washington, USA

Tawana said...

What a fun place! We are missing our tomato plants this year since Wes has not had time to garden. We sure did enjoy them last year, though!