Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Chateau Kirwan, Margaux


Typical Medoc vineyard; the soil is extremely rocky and chalky
...almost looks like snow in places; "to make great wine, the vine
must suffer"







St. Julien country








Chateau Bycheville, "the Versailles of the Medoc"; actually,
the guide said most of the great chateaux now are owned
by banks and insurance companies, uninhabited and unvisited;
I was disappointed with the Medoc, scenically, no comparison
with Burgundy; except for the boarded-up chateaux, it was
mostly pastoral squalor; maybe it's just the season....








Chateau Kirwan












The Schiffer family still live there, the guide said, although
they did not personally welcome us, as the Reverdis did







Kirwan cellar; actually, there are few actual cellars in the
region...high water table








Sitting area outside the cellar; nice place to sit and watch
over your investments








Margaux chateaux; Kirwan is on the left, second or third down












Actually, I was surprised at how generous the servings were;
she gave me three; maybe it was my excellent "Merci! Sil
vous plait! Bonjour"; Kirwan is a far older grand cru; I forgot
what we tasted, a 2004 maybe, but I do remember the price,
49 euros; lots of tannin; I preferred the mellower Reverdi

No comments: