Saturday, August 10, 2019

Beverley Minster

Beverley, in the East Riding of Yorkshire, is graced by both four- and five-star parish churches. Beverly Minster had its origins in a monastery founded in the 8th century by St. John of Beverley. After he was canonized, in the 11th, a collegiate church came about, in part to accommodate pilgrims to his burial site. That church burned down in 1188, necessitating a new, grander collegiate church. This is the Minster that has come down to us today, another parish church of nearly cathedral dimensions, this time in very largely Decorated style (think: Flamboyant). There were many items of note, but the sculptural program within, particularly the images of musicians (Beverley apparently was a guild center for musicians), and a very rare Green Woman, interested us most.

Huge west window

Nave

Elevation

Vaulting

Snake charmer

Let the music begin...



Most of these along the north wall of the nave


Beverley is sometimes the stunt-double for Westminster Abbey 

Largest and fanciest of all church gift shoppes we have seen; alas, closed on Sundays

Helpful floor plan

In chancel






























































































More beautiful carving in the quire; including 68 misericords

Thus


More music

Abaft the beam

Our Founder

Green Man

Green Woman; extraordinarily rare

And the band played on

Decorated...

We did the Sunday carvery here; not memorable


No comments: