Friday, June 21, 2013

Lanhydrock 2013

We visited Lanhydrock in 2009--the last day of the National Trust's season that year, November 1st--and immediately decided it was our favorite Great House. As I wrote then, it's hardly the largest nor most famous, nor does it have the most art or other treasure, nor even very much national history. More of this house is open, however, and authentic, than any other we've seen, upstairs and downstairs, and, unlike some of the other houses, its families are people you come to care for, especially as they confront their final tragedies. I posted about Lanhydrock in 2009, http://roadeveron.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/lanhydrock.html, and don't think I can improve much presently, although I may post some further pix here later on. It's still our favorite house.

1 comment:

Tawana said...

I had to go back and read your post from Lanhydrock last time you were there. I had forgotten the sad story. The house is beautiful. It is really hard to believe that people really lived in houses like that and on estates like that...so foreign to the American way of life...even our richest folks never really lived like that.