Wednesday, August 13, 2014

American Tourist Robbed By BNP Paribus; All's Well...*

In broad daylight, Thursday afternoon, July 30th, on the Boulevard Voltaire. I thought it would be wise to have a few euros as we departed France and Europe the next day. The cash machine at the BNP Paribus bank there, near the intersection with Rue Charonne, cheerfully spit out a receipt saying it had given me 30 euros, but--cash machine nightmare!--no money appeared. None. Nothing. At the machine next to me a young woman, bilingual, fortunately, saw the whole thing and agreed to accompany me into the bank branch to seek restitution. The receptionist was unsympathetic--apparently the receipt and a witness meant nothing--said I must check with my US bank to see whether the funds actually had been withdrawn, and come back the next day. When I told her, through my translator, that I would be out of France and en route to the US the next day, she was even less sympathetic, but finally agreed, under my threatening demeanor (don't laugh), to write a note, en francaise, apparently recounting what I'd claimed to her. We checked with our bank, Cap One, promptly, and eventually received a note saying they were investigating the matter and that it would be 45-90 days before we'd hear anything more. So, fellow American tourists, my advice would be to avoid BNP Paribus, France's largest bank. They had just been socked with one of the largest fines in banking history--9 BILLION bucks--by the US, in a criminal case, for laundering monies from Iran, Sudan, and other places black-listed by the US. Perhaps they figure to get it back from us via their cash machines. Stay tuned. I'm hoping for a just if not timely resolution. See http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/06/30/bnp-paribas-pleads-guilty-in-sanctions-case/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1 for some interesting reading on the matter. In six years of world-wide travel, this is the only time I know of that I have been dealt with dishonestly. Anywhere. It's only 40 bucks, I know, but if you can't rely on a cash machine and the bank on the other side of the wall, you can't travel.

*Update: In early August Cap One credited the 35 euros to our account, pending an investigation. In late September, they wrote to say that the matter had been resolved in our favor. All's well that ends well, I suppose, although I'd rather things begin, continue, and end well.
Exhibits A and B

2 comments:

Life After All Blog said...

How did this turn out, Mark? love your blogs, all of them. I read them in bunches.

Mark said...

Fran: your comment prompted me ask the CFO whether Cap One had ever finished its investigation, and she indicated a letter had arrived a couple weeks ago and that she had already told me about it.... Anyhow, I have now updated the post to say: "*Update: In early August Cap One credited the 35 euros to our account, pending an investigation. In late September, they wrote to say that the matter had been resolved in our favor. All's well that ends well, I suppose, although I'd rather things begin, continue, and end well." Best, Mark