Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Basel Museum

Basel is one of the $wiss cities we had not previously visited, it was sort of on the way, and we were particularly interested in its museum. The museum has a seriously enforced no fotos policy, but I did snatch a few of the more interesting/compelling items. Its collection of Holbeins, elder and younger and siblings too, is the largest there is. And there is much else, right up to present.
A Cranach Paris' Judgment (same model again)














I wasn't able to "document" all my pix; I
think this is a very different Cranach
madonna and child




















As I said, there are dozens of Holbeins; here's Younger's
Erasmus















And a genre piece whose title I don't remember...damn!














And this, Junior's Entombed Christ, unusual if not
completely unique; early 1500s















Another unidentified (by me) but worthy 16th century gory
piece















And another I've got to get the title/artist for
(help me, art fans!)



















There was plenty of more recent stuff, a lot of Impressionism
and Post-Impressionism















Including this guy














Quite a few Picassos; story goes the museum wanted to
purchase a major Picasso, the local fiscal conservatives
got it put on the ballot, and the artsies won; Picasso was
sufficiently gratified that he gave the museum another
half dozen of his works


















Even a couple Dalis: here his Burning Giraffe














Courtyard of this fine museum, with copy #1,743 of Rodin's
Burghers

No comments: