Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Europe, 1979*

And so it came to pass that in June, 1979, The Ohio State University conferred upon me the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, in philosophy; after a mere 9 years in graduate school. In my defense, I offer that I actually earned 3 degrees in that time, including the one that eventually lead me into university and non-profit administration, where I would spend the next 28 years. Even before my graduation became certain, Vicki announced that she was going to Europe that summer and that I was welcome to join her if I got my work done. Fortunately, in the eyes of my advisor and dissertation committee, I did. After the graduation--the only one of 4 I attended--we shipped daughter Rebecca off to Miami to stay with her grandparents and then, in the usual whirlwind of activity, departed for 5 weeks of car-camping in Europe. It was our first trip abroad and, with some 30 years' perspective, I can say now that it was immensely formative for us both.
The Graduate, and family, on the porch of our Minerva Park home; my parents
drove up from Miami for the occasion; a moment of great pride and relief, although
I still have nightmares about getting the dissertation done; upon graduation and as
we embarked for Europe, I was, of course, completely unemployed; but that worked
out all right; eventually














At a rice table in Amsterdam; I had always liked food, but 1979 was my
introduction to fine and interesting food, and a foodie thus was born; it only
got better















The caramel Opel from which we tent-camped and toured much of Europe
in the next month














At the Rijksmuseum was born our interest in Brueghel and ilk, which lasts to
this day














We spent a week or more in the Netherlands, Delft
 and the coast, and then Brussels and Brugge; but then
had to move on to Paris...here, St. Chapelle, for the
first of many visits






















Among scores of Paris sights...













Vicki, atop the Eiffel Tower; the postcard was for
Rebecca



















The Trocadero, and more of Paris


















Napoleon's tomb, at the Invalides













First visit to the Louvre






































































To be continued...

*From the Archives of the Sherouse Family Digitization Product.

No comments: