Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Mission Bay Out-Takes

We were there, at Campland on the Bay, from January 7th to February 24th. Our one departure came on January 27th, when we rented a car and drove to Oceanside for the first of our Moderna vaccinations. Through her usual ingenuity and persistence, Vicki got us early reservations on California's My Turn website. We took advantage of the car rental to see more of Mission Bay, the ocean beach, San Diego Old Town, and Oceanside harbor. Otherwise it was pretty much the same daily routine: sleep in as much as possible, read news/internet/etc., do Duolingo (I'm on a ten-week streak in French!), have brunch/lunch, go for an afternoon walk generally approaching 10,000 steps, sometimes more, rest, fix/eat dinner, watch MSNBC, read news/internet, etc. In addition, after watching The Queen's Gambit, I've taken up playing chess with the computer (lichess.org mainly). Alas, I've not progressed much in these two months: Stockfish #3 routinely routs me, and I can barely hold my own with Stockfish #2. But I pretty much know the rules, if not the strategies and tactics. Vicki watched the entire Outlander series, again, and is still disappointed in my lack of resemblance to Jamie. We are watching Men in Kilts now, together, so perhaps she still has hope. We took few pix over our nearly two months on Mission Bay, except for our outings, but enough for the customary out-takes.

The area apparently has a problem with giant rats...

Surfing on the beach south 
In Old Town, the original site of early San Diego

Excellent signage


19th century Old Town hotel

Big first shot day

In "recovery" after my first shot; neither of us had any side
effects, apart from sore arms

First sighting for me: a vertical take-off/landing craft


Dutch van?

Another first for me; I'll be really impressed when they can
train cats for paddle boarding



Near La Jolla, at the French Gourmet restaurant (with patio
dining); we liked it well enough to make the six mile round-trip
for brunch twice, en pied
N
The beach just south of La Jolla, Valentine's Day






























What, your town doesn't have an indoor axe-throwing parlor?


No comments: