Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Significant Highway Interlude

The first highway name I can remember was US route 41, which my parents referred to as the Tamiami Trail (Tampa/Miami). We traveled it many times in the 50s and 60s, visiting my father's relatives in Fort Myers. Along the way were air-boat rides in the Everglades, Seminole Indian villages, and...alligators (!). As a child it never occurred to me that route 41 continued on past the Caloosahatchee River. And I haven't given the matter much further thought as an adult. Most of the cross-country travels Vicki and I have done have been on the east/west axis. Imagine our surprise--we are both Miami natives--driving to the end of the road in Copper Harbor, Upper Peninsula, Michigan, to explore the Fort Wilkins State Historical Park, and finding an historical marker designating the beginning of US route 41. It ends at Brickell Avenue, downtown Miami, almost 2000 miles away.



Oops, missed Tennessee; understandable



No comments: