Monday, July 11, 2011

Patriarche: Visiting Des Caves

I did the Patriarche wine-tasting tour in 1989, while Vicki and Rebecca and Rachel shopped. For a wine neophyte, it was quite an experience. Now I am simply lazy, thirsty, in the market for a bargain, and happy to reconnect with the past. So I did the Patriarche tour again. (Patriarche is one of the largest Burgundy negociants...blenders and marketers of fine wine.) Hey, 13 wines, including a few really good ones, for 10 euros?! It was a slow day, and I had the place pretty much to myself.
Patriarche















Entering the caves; I have forgotten how many acres beneath
Beaune Patriarche owns, but it's quite a walk just to see the
parts open to the public
















Halls and halls like this















And this















Meursault, my favorite Burgundy white; my favorite white
wine















One of the best years ever












Finally, the first of the tasting areas; you get 3 whites and
10 reds; the big difference between now and 20 years ago
is back then they had people staffing these areas; nowadays--
ha!!!--it's self-serve, with just a few staffers circulating and
making conversation (and making sure you aren't stuffing
the '47 Gevrey Chambertin into your jacket)



















If you're a real wine cognoscenti, you oxygenate, sniff, taste
with all parts of your mouth, then spit it out into one of these
little jugs; and make notes in your wine journal; I find the
expectorating part really difficult, but previous experience
has taught me it's best to taste and spit out the cheap stuff
(anything under $30 a bottle) so that you can really appreciate
the fine stuff



















Not the cheap stuff; I had to get several helpings to really
discern its quality; ditto with the Pommard and Rully and
the Chassagne Montrachet
















And of course the Meursault; ah, the soft amber glow...















I was glowing a bit myself by the time I
reached the last of the tastings




















Hey, if it's good enough for the Sun King, it's good enough
for me

No comments: