Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Elaiussa Sebaste 3

We did stay another day. Inertia. In the realm of productivity we at least listened to several more audio-tapes on ancient Greek history and culture and watched a few more video-tapes on classical archaeology. We now have a deeper understanding of the origins of Athenian "democracy" and of C-14 and thermal-luminescence, although we remain what might be termed "surface" archaeologists. I am still waiting for that jadeite hafted axe to wash up before me on the beach at Carnac. Oh, we did also clean out and reorganize a bit, for the thousandth time.
Seeing this sarcophogus on the hill behind our
"campground" and
















These temple columns moved me to walk up the hill















Past the amphitheatre, and a great view of the larger complex















To the village, and where many of the best smaller
specimens now reside
















Where work, real work, continues unchanged for aeons















Through a sizeable Roman necropolis, adapted now for
more contemporary needs
















Still pushin' up daisies (nasturtiums?) after 2,000 years!






































I never did get to the temple or the big sarcophogus--too much private property--people are friendly and welcoming, but one doesn't want to push it.

So I walked back down to the beach and tried my hand,
again, at fishing off these ancient rocks and pilings; I only
lost one lure and bobber before being reminded that I do
not have the patience to be a fisherman, particularly a
clueless fisherman



















Wednesday morning we did finally and reluctantly
depart our little refuge at Elaiussa Sebaste; its GPS will be
in Vicki's "practical highlights" on the website

















But not without acknowledging and feeding our canine
guardians of the past several days; particularly after
Romania, I have come to despise these feral dogs; but at
this beach, this big guy and his lady-friend (off shopping
when we left) exhibited the characteristics of territoriality and
loyalty for which the species is best known; they literally
guard the campers, lounging nearby but reacting fiercely
to any intruders; I gave them probably a kilo of some
Turkish spam I decided not to eat myself...which may keep
them going until the next campers arrive this weekend

No comments: